True Blue Informal Recognitions highlight the practices of exemplary faculty and staff who make invaluable contributions to the University every day. The University of Toronto ranks as Canada’s leading institution of learning and is one of the world’s top research-intensive universities because of the vital work of employees across our three campuses.
It’s important to recognize those contributions – not just through formal recognition programs, but as a part of our day-to-day practice. When our efforts are appreciated and valued, we are more dedicated to success and gain a greater understanding of how our work contributes to the University’s mission. Expressing gratitude for the work of our colleagues is an important part of fostering a culture of appreciation and makes the University of Toronto an excellent place to work.
We invite members of the University Community to identify those every-day moments when a colleague’s efforts have been outstanding. The True Blue Recognition Platform makes it easy to let them know in real time!
True Blue Award
Each time you recognize a colleague, you are nominating them to win the True Blue Award and highlighting their outstanding work to their manager. Each month, the recipients of the best True Blue informal recognitions will be selected to win credit on the True Blue Recognition Platform, redeemable for prizes valued at $50.
True Blue Criteria
The criteria below illustrate the practices of exemplary faculty and staff. Use these as a guide in identifying outstanding contributions of your colleagues.
- Citizenship – Choosing actions with the intent of positively influencing the quality of life for the broader University community. Displaying a genuine interest in being present for peers above and beyond expectations.
- Collaboration – Excelling at cultivating cooperation, teamwork, and open communication by building strong working relationships within their area or across different divisions.
- Equity – Outstanding work that advances and fosters an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment to ensure fair and equal opportunities are available to all members of the University community.
- Innovation – Being visionary and seeking opportunities for improvements, which result in creating new processes or using creativity to approach solving a challenge.
- Leadership – Providing inspirational guidance and mentorship within the University community. Embracing a commitment to advancing and championing others.
- Service – Demonstrating a high standard of professionalism and consistently provides outstanding and exemplary service to the students, staff, faculty, or client group.
- The True Blue Award is open to any member of faculty and staff at the University of Toronto (including non-appointed) in good standing
- Nominations for the award must be submitted on the True Blue Recognition Platform or by completing a physical recognition card available at Divisional HR Offices
- Recognitions for all True Blue Criteria will be reviewed and evaluated by the Recognition and Engagement Team of Human Resources and Equity at the University of Toronto
- Each month, 5-10 recipients of True Blue Recognitions that best exemplify the valued behaviours and reflect on Recognition Best Practices will be selected to receive the True Blue Award
- Winners will receive points on the True Blue Recognition Platform which are redeemable for prizes valued at $50 CAD
- Winners will also have an opportunity to be published in the Bulletin Brief and on this website
- Contest details subject to change at any time without advance notification, at leadership’s discretion